Saturday, April 19, 2008

For the Ruds

Take that, Hotel Chopin!

When the Rudniks were here a few weeks, I joined them one morning for breakfast at their hotel, Hotel Chopin. Breakfast is included with each room and is served in the little restaurant right off the lobby. I came in that morning from Piast, walked right into the restaurant without having to talk to a host(ess) or anyone.

Breakfast was decent: a wide enough selection of average quality. Pastries, juice, coffee, yogurt, all the imaginables, AND kielbasa.

Given the ease at which a foreigner could simply walk in and eat their fill, the Rudniks and I decided that I should give it a try on another occasion. Today was that fateful day! Really, the Hotel Chopin is rather out-of-the-way, and why on earth would someone come all that way if they weren't staying in the hotel and therefore entitled to free breakfast. Well, me, for example.

Again, I just walked right in, sat down, and proceeded to have a lovely breakfast. Just to be on the safe side, I laid down the big, fat Lonely Planet guide to Eastern Europe at my seat to give me the appearance of a traveler. ;)

Of course I absconded with my backpack full of a couple treats for later, some local guide pamphlets, and a weekend edition of Rzeczpospolita newspaper. On top of all this, I realized that I didn't have my tram card with me, so I was praying that I wouldn't run into a controller along the way. How many ways did you break rules of accepted behavior before noon today?

3 comments:

annie... said...

the Ruds are proud!

Miracle said...

I'm having my stolen pastries for another breakfast right now. ;)

Carol R said...

We can give you the name of a nice hotel in Prague, if you don't mind traveling a little farther for another freebie breakfast.