Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Nazywam się...

Quickly:
One of my goals in coming to Poland this year was to climb a little bit through my family tree. I'm not really sure what exactly I want to accomplish, but I at the very least want to see Kashubia and breathe the Northern Polish air.

I have been trying to get all my ducks in a row to try and prepare for a trip in late May. One of my contacts is a Kashubian guy who has been to Winona a number of times. He helps people like me reconnect with their Kashubian roots. Through his records, he has confirmed what I already knew from the Winona Polish Historical Society regarding some of my ancestors birthdates and birth places. But one thing he found out was that, in fact, my last name is spelled differently that I've been spelling it! Merchlewitcz, not Merchlewitz! (It sounds like "ch" at the end rather than "ts".) At long last, all the suspicions of skeptical Poles here and at home have been realized. :)

No comments: