Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Yesterday

Three things of note occurred on my Easter Monday:

1. The Rudniks left Poland for the Czech Republic. It was so, so, so nice to have them here, especially over the Easter holiday. Originally, they were to come to Europe on an "Annie's Greatest Hits"-type tour and have her as their guide. Even though it didn't quite work out that way, I give them major props for making the trip anyway.

They arrived on the Saturday I got back from Budapest, and we miraculously met up outside the station. I think it was a good omen indicating an auspicious trip. I've got my fingers crossed that they actually made it to Valašské Klobouky by now...

I hope they had a good time and felt like they saw enough of the city. What was nice is that I haven't been inside all of the Wawel Castle or explored the Kazimierz neighborhood, but being with them it was a great opportunity to get around town. And, of course, we explored the Easter market on the Rynek, meandered around Old Town, heard the trumpeter about two dozen times, went to Easter Sunday mass at the Kościół Mariacki, and ate some great meals. (I was especially grateful for their invitations because even the grocery stores were closed for Easter and the days before and after.) I also did my best to introduce them to the more outstanding drinks this region has to offer. Within 12 hours of their arrival, they got a taste of Żywiec beer, krupnik (honey vodka), Żubrówka (bison grass vodka), and even some Hungarian peach pálinka (kind of like vodka). The quote of the weekend belongs to Mrs. R upon her first taste of Żubrówka and apple juice: "This is delicious! This is like breakfast juice... only better!" Thatta girl, Mrs. R!


2. Easter Monday a.k.a. Lany Poniedzałek a.k.a. Śmygus-Dingus
I'm not sure what kind of ancient tradition this day is related to, but throughout Eastern Europe it is an Easter Monday tradition for boys to throw water on girls. I've heard it is supposed to represent a cleaning, purification ritual, but if you ask me, it's sounds like its origins aren't altogether Catholic. No matter, besides from the snowy/rainy precipitation, my Lany Poniedzałek was a dry one.


3. Less than one week to my half-marathon. Yesterday I went to the gym to run so I could keep track of my time and distance on the treadmill. 10k is no sweat, so running one half and run-walking the second half, I can finish in less than 2:30. I think I am ready. (I better be ready because I bought my train ticket to Warsaw yesterday as well.)

No comments: