Friday, April 4, 2008

2 hours 5 minutes

I did it! I finished the Warsaw Halfmarathon! And when I crossed the finish line, I thought, "Is that it?" After a few months of training and running around Krakow in some of the most ridiculous weather conditions, it turns out I really was prepared enough to go 13 miles on a beautiful, sunny day. The two main goals I set for myself (to run -not walk- the entire race, and to come in under 2:30:00) were both met. I feel pretty good about it, and my legs didn't hurt as bad as I thought they would. I think the massage at the end of the race really helped on that account.

Like I mentioned, the weather was unbelievably nice. I may have even gotten a tad sunburned as I was running. But on Saturday, when I arrived, it was rainy and downright depressing. There I was, all prepared to take in the sights of Warsaw on foot, without an umbrella and three large bags (my backpack, a sleeping bag, and my race kit). I spent most of the day indoors having lunch and coffee.
The famous mermaid statue in the Old Town square wasn't even up - it was gone for repairs... Thankfully I had brought along a good book passed on to me by Annie. By the time Saturday night rolled around, I was beginning to regret that I had come by myself. However, I spent some time in the Warsaw University library reading (which is a neat building), had my favorite tea from a Polish cafe chain, and got a surprise phone call from a friend, things were looking up.

Later, I made it to the sports hall where I was to sleep, and when I walked into the room with about 50 fellow athletes, no joke, I was the only girl! How could I have just assumed that there would be plenty of female runners at this place?? No matter, I rolled out my sleeping bag in a free spot against the wall and began chatting with the guy next to me. It was his first half marathon as well. I would keep running into him all throughout the next day, so it kind of felt like i had made a friend there. That was nice.

When Zbyszek (I think that was his name) went out to check the temperature in the morning, he said, in Polish of course, "Can I ask you a question? Why do you run?" I hadn't really thought much about this question in English let alone had an answer prepared in Polish. What I could say was that I like to run because it is something I can do by myself and I have total freedom. Freedom. Wolność. I think that is true.


I would do it again. Now I feel like there is a whole new world of competitive running open to me. At this race there were certainly a lot of people who did it like me, just to do it, but there were also some people, and some "big-name runners", who were really serious about it. I think I could become serious about distance running knowing that my mind and my body can take it. Now I have the goal of running a half marathon in under 2 hours. I think before too long I'll be doing a full marathon. ;)

Here are a couple of pictures that a hired photo agency took along the course:
http://www.fotomaraton.pl/event.php?Lang=PL&Event=PWA08&ToFind=419. The building, one of the most famous in Warsaw and in all of Poland, affectionately known as "Stalin's penis" is in the background.

2 comments:

Tamina listening said...

Well done, Sarah! I'm so proud of you. More so than any other aspect, I'm glad it made you so happy! Keep up the good work, champ.

fanney ósk sizemore said...

gratuluje! Masz ochote na herbate kiedy wrósic?